Quantcast

San Diego Man Who Wanted Selfie With Rattlesnake Gets Bit with $153,161.25 Hospital Bill

July 23, 2015



A man in San Diego, Calif. who supposedly wanted to take a selfie with a rattlesnake got more than he bargained for when the rattlesnake bit him. According to ABC News 10, Todd Fassler picked up the snake from some brush in San Diego, purportedly to photograph himself holding the snake when the snake bit him on the arm.


Rattlesnake Information

California Teenager Survives Six Rattlesnake Bites

The Cruelty Of Rattlesnake Roundups

Rattlesnakes Packing More Venom In California


The hospital bill for his treatment? $153,161.25, with $83,341.25 of that attributed to antivenin and other pharmacy costs. The media is lapping it up, with the Washington Post’s Christopher Ingraham saying that the bill for Fassler’s snakebite shows everything that is wrong with the American health care system.

western diamondback rattlesnake

wikipedia

If you pick up a rattlesnake, chances are highly likely that you will get bit.

There is no mention in Ingraham’s story that Fassler’s supposed actions just begged him to get bit. A big reason people, mostly males, get bit by rattlesnakes is because they get too close or want to take a photo with them or trap them or try to kill them, according to SnakeFacts.com. A copy of the bill is below.

KGTV reported that as a result of Fassler’s supposed snake selfie stupidity, his treatment depleted antivenin from two hospitals during his five days in the hospital.

Ingraham goes on to say that the bill Fassler released to the media isn’t exactly a bill but an “instrument in a complex negotiation between insurers and caregivers.” But the question that begs to be asked is if Fassler didn’t decide to do what he supposedly did with the rattlesnake, would he have received such a bill? Nope. And what would have happened if another person in San Diego was bit during the time he was receiving treatment, would there have been enough antivenin to go around? Stupidity, unfortunately is what it is, and sometimes when folks make stupid decisions, others may inadvertently pay for it. Luckily, nobody was reported to have been bit by a rattlesnake in San Diego during the time this guy was getting pumped with all the antivenin available. 

Related Articles

Former Wild Recon Host Donald Schultz Accused Of Illegally Selling Endangered Lizards

Ex Animal Planet host charged with selling Iranian desert monitors to undercover USFWS agents

Zoo Atlanta's Komodo Dragon, Slasher Dies At 20

Reptile was euthanized due to age-related complications.

Komodo Dragon Attacks Park Employees At Komodo National Park

Employees both bitten in leg by Varanus komodoensis.

Add your comment:
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module

Cast Your Vote

Where is your dream herping destination?



 

Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit ModuleEdit Module

Find Us On facebook

Edit Module