Sea Turtle Found In Thailand With Stomach Full Of Plastic Dies
June 11, 2018
A young green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) who washed ashore near Thailand’s Chonburi’s Lamchabang Port last week died just two days later after medical officials tried desperately to save it. A necropsy determined that the reptile had ingested a variety of man made materials, including plastic bags, nylon rope, rubber bands and fishing gear, and this material caused a loss of appetite, low protein levels in its bloodstream, cysts, and ultimately heart failure, according to Coconuts Wireless Bangkok.
ไม่ใช่แค่วาฬที่ตายเพราะขยะทะเล เต่าตนุตัวน้อยตัวนี้เข้ามาเกยตื้นบริเวณท่าเรือแหลมฉบัง จังหวัดชลบุรี ตั้งแต่วันที่4...Posted by ReReef on Saturday, June 9, 2018
"It was feeling weak and couldn't swim," Weerapong Laovechprasit, veterinarian at the Eastern Marine and Coastal Resource Research and Development Centre, according to AFP. "The main cause of death is the sea trash."
Plastic bags are often mistaken for jellies by sea turtles.
X-rays on the reptile revealed the trash blockage in the animal’s intestines, and despite trying to feed it intravenously, those efforts failed.
Weerapong said in the past an estimated 10 percent of the sea turtles that wash up on beaches there had plastic in their system or had gotten infected due to the plastic, but this year, the veterinarians in the Southeast Asian country have seen about a 50 percent increase in trash-related incidents with sea turtles.
According to a 2015 Ocean Conservancy report, more than half of the estimated 8 million tons of plastic waste that ends up in the world’s ocean originate from just five Asian countries: China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand. Among plastic bags and plastic bottles, a huge contributor to this waste are in the form of plastic satchets, essentially single serve or one shot containers used for everything from shampoos and soaps, to instant coffee and teas.