Reptile Awareness Day
Reptile Awareness Day is October 21st. Every year, reptile fanatics have a day that they can celebrate and share their passion; a chance to educate others who may not know about these amazing creatures called reptiles, and the habitat loss and threat of extinction that faces so many reptile species.
Though we can’t pinpoint exactly when Reptile Awareness Day started, or by whom, we certainly believe that it is an important day, and REPTILES magazine and ReptileChannel.com have taken the lead in promoting and popularizing Reptile Awareness Day. Oddly too, Reptile Awareness Day has a pretty RAD acronym.
At REPTILES magazine and ReptileChannel.com, we think that you can use Reptile Awareness Day for some good, and we have some ideas for you. We’ve given you a few days notice so you can start planning.
1 . Donate to one of the many great reptile conservation or legal programs. Last year was the Year of the Frog, and we encouraged you to donate to the Amphibian Ark.(http://www.amphibianark.org) This year we encourage you to donate to one of the great legal organizations that fights for your rights to keep reptiles – the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) and the United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK).
2. On top of joining and donating to one of the legal organizations listed above, write letters to your local and national representatives concerning local and national legislation that would affect your reptile rights, and the health and safety of your reptiles.
3. Bring your pet reptile to a school for show and tell. Whether you are a parent, teacher or student, all levels through college can benefit from a quick show and tell, and lesson on your favorite herp. Make sure to check with the school’s administration beforehand!
4. Leave a copy of REPTILES magazine in your doctor’s, dentist’s, or vet’s office. Who knows how many people could be exposed to the wonderful world of reptiles! Give a gift subscription to a friend or family member, or even your local library. Who knows how many children could learn about reptiles from just that one subscription!
5. Go and buy that new reptile you’ve been eyeing. Why wait until the holidays?
6. Surprise the kids with a day off school (and for you work) and spend Reptile Awareness Day at your local zoo. Check out their reptile exhibit and marvel at the wondrous and exotic reptiles they house. Or, spend the day herping. Herping can be a fun and educational experience for the entire family.
7. Make a reptile resolution to go to at least one reptile show before the next Reptile Awareness Day rolls back around.
8. Print out some of ReptileChannel’s Fun & Games to be shared with your class. These are also great for homeschoolers. Bring them in for your teacher, or pass them out to your child’s class.
9. Join a herp club or society. There’s much to learn and share at herp club and society events.
10. Make an appointment to get your reptile a check up at your local reptile vet.
These are just a few things that you can do to make others “aware” of these unique and amazing creatures. Many reptiles are endangered and at risk of going extinct. We need days like this to promote reptiles and make sure that these wonderful animals are around for future generations to enjoy.
Make sure to leave a comment below and tell us what you did for Reptile Awareness Day last year, or what you plan to do this year.
On October 22, the day after Reptile Awareness Day, come back to this page and we will give away some great prizes. All you have to do to win, is tell us what you did for Reptile Awareness Day. Click Here to go to the Contest Page>>